Accessing SAS was never so easy. With SAS OnDemand for Academics software, SAS is just a click away! Yes, you hear it right. We can access SAS software for free by just logging to a SAS website. No installation is required and it's available for everyone - Instructors, Students and Individual Learners. In short, it's available for every other use than commercial. It's an important step taken by SAS marketing team to counter competitors such as R and Python. There was a time when accessing SAS software and learning SAS programming is such as pain. With this software and SAS University Edition (UE) for free, learning SAS programming is no more a distressing task.
Steps to access SAS OnDemand for Academics
1. Register yourself and create your account by visiting registration page
2. Submit the required details (first name, last name and Email ID) in the registration page.
3. You will get an email from SAS team with the link to activate your profile.
4. You need to enter your email address and password information and accept the license agreement and then click Create Account.
5. After completing step 4, you will get an email with the subject 'You are ready to start using SAS OnDemand for Academics' and user id. Click on the link specified in the email.
6. Enter your user id and password to log in to the software.
7. Click on SAS Studio link on the dashboard page. See the screenshot below -
|Free SAS Software|
Detailed User Guide is stored on this link - User Guide for SAS Academics
Important Points : SAS OnDemand for Academics
- No installation required
- Internet required to access the software
- Free 5GB of personal data storage. Additional 2 GB data storage for Instructors.
- If you do not use your account for a period of one year, then your account might expire.
List of SAS softwares available for FREE
You can access not only Base SAS, SAS STAT modules but also access SAS GRAPH, SAS modules for econometrics (ETS) and operation research (OR). And if you are searching for free SAS 9.4 or free SAS Enterprise Miner, your search is over. You will get the latest version of SAS and popular SAS packages for free.
- SAS Studio (Includes Base SAS, SAS STAT, SAS GRAPH, ETS, IML, OR)
- SAS Enterprise Guide
- SAS Enterprise Miner
- SAS Credit Scoring
- SAS Text Miner
- SAS Forecast Studio
- SAS High Performance Forecasting
If you are a statistician or data scientist, you can practise data mining and text mining techniques with SAS Enterprise Miner and Text Miner for absolutely free.
Since it runs on cloud, it requires a web browser. The following web browsers are supported :
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 9+
- Mozilla Firefox 14+
- Google Chrome 21+
- Apple Safari 5+
- Mobile - Apple Safari 6+
If you face any issue(s) related to the software, you can write an email to SASAnalyticsU@sas.com or post a message in the SAS Community
Basics of SAS Academic Software
1. Upload External Data
First select the Files (Home) area and then the fourth icon under 'Server Files and Folders' would be visible and then click on Choose Files box and hit Upload button.
|Upload data to SAS Studio Server|
2. How to access uploaded data
FILENAME REFFILE '/home/youruserid/sasuser.v94/Files/df.csv';In the code above, the first highlighted blue portion of the code (youruserid) refers to your user id and the second highlighted portion refers to name of your uploaded file.
PROC IMPORT DATAFILE=REFFILE
Tips - Alternatively, you can access uploaded data by clicking on 'Import Data' option under the first icon of the 'Server Files and Folders' area (See screenshot of the next step)
3. You can create a new program or folder by clicking on the first icon. Follow the screenshot below -
|SAS Studio - Files / Programs|
If you are already using SAS University Edition which is also available for free, you might not find this academic version as useful but there are certain features in the academic software which is not available in the University Edition such as Operation Research module or SAS Enterprise Miner and Text Miner. Check out this link - SAS University Edition vs. SAS OnDemand For Academics